JACKSONS SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
Jacksons Companies has established a scholarship program available to current Jacksons employee’s children who are students pursuing post-secondary undergraduate education at approved accredited schools. If a Jackson Company employee child is also an employee of one of the Jackson Companies they will be eligible for the Scholarship Program or Tuition Reimbursement, but not both benefits. The accreditation of the school will be evaluated using the guidelines followed for the Tuition Reimbursement Program. Up to eight (8) scholarships of $5,000 each will be awarded on an annual basis. Anyone awarded a scholarship will need to reapply each year. There will be no preference given to a person selected during the prior year. Monies will be paid directly to the recipients’ school of choice to help defray the costs. All amounts paid by Jacksons for the benefit of the employee’s child will be taxable income to the employee per IRS requirements.
Applicants are responsible to ensure that all application material and requirements are submitted to the Scholarship Committee, C/O HR Department by April 1 of each year for consideration of the following academic year. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications are available by contacting the Human Resources Department.
Students may reapply on an annual basis, as long as their parent is still an active full-time employee in good standing with one of the Jacksons Companies. The Scholarship Committee will verify the student(s) met the minimum criteria while receiving the award during the previous academic year. Repeated courses will not count toward meeting minimum credit requirements. If a student has extenuating circumstances that impact his or her scholarship eligibility, an appeal letter can be submitted to the Scholarship Committee which explains and documents those circumstances.
The Scholarship Committee members will consist of members selected by the CEO. The CEO will have final approval of all scholarships awarded.
Scholarship recipients will be selected by the scholarship committee and notified by May 1st of each year. All decisions made by the committee will be final.
DISTRIBUTION OF FUNDS
After award selection, Jacksons will issue a check directly to the designated school each semester. The funds will be awarded up to $2,500 per semester or $1,666 per trimester. The scholarship awards must be used in the proceeding academic year. Scholarship recipients will be required to submit proof of enrollment and upcoming class schedules to the Jacksons Human Resources Department. Scholarship recipients may also be required to submit to the Human Resources Department a copy of their expense receipt and the date the expense is due.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Applicants must meet all of the following requirements to be considered for an award.
- Applicants must be the child of a current Jackson Companies employee at the time of the application. The Jacksons employee must have maintained average full time hours for a minimum of three (3) months prior to the application for scholarship and be in good standing with the company. An employee child is defined as a son, daughter, step-son or step-daughter or child that the Jacksons employee has custody and support.
- The applicants must have a 3.0 (or higher) cumulative G.P.A. Home schooled individuals will be considered based on COMPASS and/or SAT/ACT scores.
- Applicants must be a United States Citizen or legal resident.
- Each application should be typed , but will be accepted if hand written in a neat legible format. If additional space is needed for any question, submit additional sheets of paper referencing applicable questions.
- All application materials (application, transcript, SAT/ACT scores (if required by the enrolling education institute) and letters of recommendation) must be submitted no later than April 1st of each year in an envelope with the applicant’s name and Jacksons Scholarship written on the exterior of the envelope.
- Transcripts must be sent to the Scholarship Committee each semester. The scholarship committee will verify the overall GPA was above the minimum (3.0 G.P.A.) required.
A student that has attended at least one full-time semester prior to his or her departure and who was awarded a Jacksons scholarship may defer the scholarship if school attendance is interrupted for medical reasons, military deployment, or other selected reasons, provided the student meets certain criteria. To request a deferral, a student should submit a letter, prior to leaving the school, requesting the scholarship be held for a specified period of time. The letter must include when the student is leaving, when he or she plans to return, and the reason for the deferment request. The general policy is that scholarships can be held for up to one academic year if approved.
Scholarships will be paid to the school as long as the student meets all of the requirements for the award and stays enrolled in at least 12 credits.
WITHDRAW EFFECT ON SCHOLARSHIPS
If a student completely withdraws from school, the scholarship may be canceled. If the student receives a refund that included the scholarship, they will be required to pay that refund back to Jacksons.
CHANGE OF SCHOOLS
A student may change schools after a scholarship is awarded if they submit a written request to the Scholarship Committee stating the reason for the change and that all other criteria required will be maintained.